Flood Insurance in Georgia
Flood insurance is something that every homeowner should consider because every home in the United States is at some risk of flooding. Your home does not have to be near water to be flooded. Even a heavy rainfall or hurricane can cause serious flooding. Every state has its own regulations and specifics regarding flood insurance. For those who live in Georgia, Birdsong Agency Inc. has prepared the list of things you should know about this type of insurance:
- About 20% of all flood insurance claims in Georgia come from moderate and low-risk areas, which means that flooding can happen anywhere. Therefore, it is highly recommended to get flood insurance in GA regardless of the location of your property.
- Most mortgage lenders in the Peach State require homeowners to have flood insurance.
- Most standard homeowner’s insurance policies do not cover damages caused by flooding.
- There are two ways to purchase flood insurance: either through the program of the federal government known as the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) or through one of the private insurance agencies.
- Flood insurance has its limitations and does not cover everything. For example, it will not cover damages caused by mildew, moisture, or mold. The damages that could have been avoided by a homeowner will not be covered as well. Also, flood insurance does not cover damage caused by earth movement, even if this movement was a result of flooding.
If you are buying a home in Georgia, Birdsong Agency Inc. is ready to assist you and find the coverage that will match your personal needs and budget. If you have any questions about this type of insurance or you would like to talk to one of our highly qualified insurance agents, do not hesitate to give us a call.